|Address:||1001 Grant Avenue|
|Use:||Place of worship|
|Original Use:||Place of worship|
|Firms:||Zunic and Sobkowich Architects|
The 1001 Grant Avenue church, dedicated to the Holy Family, was constructed in 1963 by consulting architect Radoslav Zuk of the architectural firm Zunik Sobkowich Architects and won the prestigious Massey Medal the following year. Round arches of precast concrete, and a tripartite division command attention and reference architectural traditions of the Ukrainian community, albeit with a decidedly Modern take.
Open web steel joists, with a flat roof on steel decking sit atop walls of brick masonry, reinforced with steel. The nave of the structure is at a human scale, and is dimly lit relative to the tower, which rises dramatically over the sanctuary. Glazing on either end contrasts the virtually uninterrupted brick side walls. Interior finishes include plaster, wood paneling and a cedar plank ceiling.