Edwin Raines, beloved husband of Nancy and cherished father of Doug (Carole) and Libby. Born in Ystrad Mynach, Wales, Ted moved to Canada with his family at the age of three and settled in Seven Sisters Falls, Manitoba. Ted graduated the School of Architecture at the University of Manitoba in 1947. He remained as a lecturer in architecture at the University of Manitoba until 1952.
In 1952 Ted began working, in Ottawa, as Research Architect at the Research Group at Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation. In 1954 he became Chief Architect of Rupertsland Trading Company in Winnipeg, overseeing the design and construction of Hudson Bay Co.stores across Canada. He movied to Calgary in 1957 to join the firm of J. Stevenson & Associates. The firm eventually became known as Raines Finlayson Barrett and left a legacy of fine buildings, including the Calgary International Airport, which received the Governor General's Award for Architecture, and the Centre for the Performing Arts (Epcor Centre).
Ted was made a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in 1969 in recognition of his service to the profession. Ted was a dedicated volunteer, serving as President of both the Calgary and Alberta Boys and Girls Clubs. He was a charter member of the Rotary Club of North Calgary and a member of the Probus Club. He was awarded a Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal and the Boys and Girls Clubs Silver Keystone for his volunteer efforts.