|Address:||555 Main Street|
|Original Use:||Concert Hall|
|Architects:||Associated Architects for the Manitoba Centennial Centre (Green Blankstein Russell; Moody Moore and Partners; Smith Carter Searle and Associates)|
|Firms:||Associated Architects for the Manitoba Centennial Centre (Green Blankstein Russell; Moody Moore and Partners; Smith Carter Searle and Associates)|
|Tours:||Part of the QR Code Tour|
A centrepiece of the Manitoba Centennial Centre is the Centennial Concert Hall. This 23,506 square metre venue is the primary home of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra. In a typical year, the symphony (established in 1947) plays over 80 concerts at the Hall for approximately 100,000 audience members. The building also hosts a number of other acts, including performances from the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. The Concert Hall was opened 27 March 1968 by Governor General Roland Michener. The exterior design presents a balance of orthogonal lines and angles, glass and masonry, light cream and dark charcoal tones. The building’s coloration complements and parallels those of the Winnipeg City Hall across the street – which also features Tyndall stone and deep grey masonry.