Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Animal Science Building

Address:12 Dafoe Road
Use:classrooms and laboratories
Constructed:1960-1962
Architects:Smith Carter Searle Associates
Tours:Part of the QR Code Tour

More Information

Housing the Department of Entomology and Animal Science, this symmetrical two-storey building bears many resemblances to the John A. Russell Building designed by Smith Carter Katelnikoff Associates. The twin entrances marked by cantilevered decks, and a two-storey interior courtyard, reference the notable 1959 structure. Similarly, the courtyard is enclosed by a curtain wall, which in this case utilizes tinted gray glass. The designer for the landscaped interior courtyard was Canadian horticulturist, Stan Westaway, who ran the greenhouse at the university.

The exterior of the structure is sheathed in panels of Tyndall stone, precast concrete and aggregate panels. The design is rather utilitarian and the greatest emphasis was on the utility of the laboratories and classrooms.