Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Salisbury Morse Place

Address:795 Prince Rupert Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1958
Other Work:Significant additions in 1961, 1969, 1974, 1992
Architects:Possibly Edgar Prain in c. 1930; Smith Carter Searle and Associates in 1958, with later additions by Ward Macdonald and Partners
Contractors:B. F. Klassen Construction Ltd. (1961)

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Munroe East
  • The second Salisbury School was built on this site in c.1930 and it appears that bits of a 1920s Salisbury School lingered as late as c.1980
  • The first modern construction in 1958 was adjacent but separate to the old Salisbury schools; it was called Morse Place Junior High for the next 20 years
  • The 1958 building, now on the west front, was a small two-storey square containing 12 classrooms, a library, a small multi-purpose room and some shops space, to which classes and a multi-purpose room were added in 1961
  • This addition bridged the gap to the old schools but it was not until 1969 when construction of a new gym actually linked the schools; they continued to function as two schools and have two principals until 1992
  • When the last vestiges of the 1930s Salisbury School were demolished in 2002, the combined Salisbury Morse School had grown to almost a full quadrangle complex around two small courtyards
  • Several later additions have created an irregular footprint and a patchwork of sections in this quirky little school