Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

70 Arthur Street

Formerly:R.J. Whitla & Company Building
Use:Offices, Studios, Commercial
Original Use:Warehouse
Constructed:1899
Other Work:1904, Addition (seven storeys in height on south end of building) Including dray way
1911, Addition (between original building and King Street)
Architects:James H. Cadham (1899 and 1904 addition)
J.H.G. Russell
Contractors:Philip Burnett and C.H. Simpson (1899)
Burnett and Simpson (1904)
Malcom Brothers (1911)
Tours:Part of the QR Code Tour

Design Characteristics

Materials:Solid brick, raised stone foundation
Rusticated stone accents at windows and door
Style:Romanesque Revival
  • Straight top windows mid-storey, arched windows on upper levels
  • Exterior walls, 43 cm in width; Rubblestone foundation 76 cm in width

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Archives of Manitoba
  • City of Winnipeg Archives

Links & Related Buildings