Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Oakenwald School

Address:666 Oakenwald Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1953
Other Work:Additions in 1958, 1967, and 1996
Architects:Prain and Ward Architects
Firms:Prain and Ward
Contractors:L. J. Gardiner Construction Co. Ltd.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Point Road, Fort Garry
  • Only ten rooms including an office made up the first Oakenwald School in 1953 but the next seven classrooms and a modest multi-use room were already on the plans and were required to be built in 1958 as the community flourished
  • Together these formed the essential appearance of the present Oakenwald elementary school; this building is the same plan as its neighbour, École Crane School
  • The 1953 block established an L shape on the southwest corner and fixed the main entrance, with the 1958 addition continuing the straight line north along Oakenwald Ave.; a gym was added on the rear in 1967 and another section on the east side was added later as well
  • The school is not large but it spreads long down the street and to the rear in quintessential double-loaded corridors; the original expansive glass block windows have not survived but the windows replacing them are quite large and numerous; the lower walls and end walls are faced with red brick which was repeated in the gym addition
  • The school is attractive, well landscaped and well maintained