Winnipeg Architecture Foundation



Inkster School

Address:633 Inkster Boulevard
Original Use:Educational
Other Work:Additions in 1952-1953, and 2000
Architects:Winnipeg School Division, In-house
Contractors:Malcom Construction (1947, 1952-1953)

More Information

The name of this elementary school honours the Inkster family of Scottish pioneers who settled in the Kildonan district and served the new community for generations.

Design Characteristics

  • This school follows a plan used several times by the division throughout the former Winnipeg #1 in the early post-war years; it is typical in its dominant centre tower block, its use of a long single-storey mainly rectangular plan, red brick with a stylized auditorium design with surviving glass block windows and distinctive stone trim on the pilasters
  • In this school, additions have created at least two more sections with reasonable sensitivity while leaving the facade recognizable in its historic fabric; the plan is now U-shaped back from the street
  • Of particular note is the use of green-trimmed sash windows in the old portions and the way the facade steps back slightly towards the sides