Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Oxford United Church

Address:621 Oxford Street
Use:Place of worship
Constructed:1956 -1957
Architects:MacLeod and Reimer
Firms:MacLeod and Reimer
Contractors:Frasier Construction Company

Significant Dates

  • May 1952, Lot purchased
  • 1953, Temporary church placed on site
  • Summer 1953, Services begin
  • 1956, Building campaign begins
  • 1957, Permanent structure built

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Central River Heights
  • Dimensions 50' x 90'
  • Two stories high with a mezzanine and balcony
  • Seating for 160 on balcony
  • Seating for 440 in nave
  • Red brick exterior, front elevation finished in Tyndall stone

Sources

  • Church Editor. "Growth Proof of Enterprise." Winnipeg Free Press, October 5, 1957.
  • Neil Bingham, A Study of the Church Buildings in Manitoba of the Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and United Churches of Canada. (Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, Historic Resources, 1987).
  • Winnipeg, Oxford File, UCA. Annual Report, 1982.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Manitoba and Northwestern Conference, United Church of Canada Archives, University of Winnipeg