Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Dufferin School #3

Address:545 Alexander Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1936
Other Work:Large addition in 1967
Architects:Winnipeg School Division, In-house

More Information

This is the third elementary years school to carry the name of Canada's third Governor-General, the Earl of Dufferin, and is fully attached to a lovely old school on the north side which replaced the second Dufferin School on this site that burned in a fire in 1936 and was rebuilt that year, hence, Dufferin #3.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Centennial
  • The facade of the 1967 portion runs along Alexander St. which parallels Logan as its north border
  • While the old school is a soft red brick, the sixties section features concrete and steel construction with a facing of limestone and thin floor-to-ceiling windows in a long two-storey configuration
  • Set at a right angle to the older portion, the addition provided 13 new classrooms, nursery and kindergarten space, a big gym, a new library
  • and a dental clinic, reflecting changes in the range of services that school had grown to provide
  • The large schoolyard is on the east side and benefits from several large trees