Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Laidlaw School

Address:515 Laidlaw Boulevard
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1965
Other Work:Additions (1972, 1986)
Architects:Ward and Macdonald Architects
Pratt and Lindgren Snider Tomcej and Associate (1972)
Engineers:Scouten, Mitchell, Sigurdson (1972)
Contractors:B. F. Klassen Construction (1972)

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Tuxedo
  • Constructed in 1964-65 as an 'elementary school for Tuxedo School Division No. 1709, 14 classrooms'
  • What sets Laidlaw School apart is the low cross gable roof that makes it more in keeping with its residential neighbourhood and softens its angles
  • As a structure partially poured in place for its slab and chimney, with walls of concrete block gaced in brick, the school crosses technologies and styles with brio
  • A simple hallway with classrooms on either side, the library shares the centre with the offices while the second gable lifts to the back in a "gymnatorium" and the kindergarten classes; a large gym wing was later added to the back (east) side
  • At that time, the entire school was given a new limestone facing to tie it together; its original windows are intact and the main entrance has kept its sixties cachet
  • Carefully-chosen mature plantings enhance the front and the yard on the east side is sizeable