|Formerly:||Imperial Bank of Commerce|
Imperial Bank of Canada
|Address:||441 Main Street|
|Architects:||Darling and Pearson|
|Tours:||Part of the QR Code Tour|
The richly appointed Imperial Bank of Canada, a three-storey steel, brick and stone banking hall and office building erected in 1906, occupies an important corner site in Winnipeg's historic Exchange District. The City of Winnipeg designation applies to the building on its footprint and the following interior elements: 1) basement - ornamental metal fixtures and gates, marble, vaults, curved stairwell and grating at the top with signage; 2) main floor - entire banking hall, all wood detailing and existing black marble banking counters; 3) second floor - oak woodwork and rear and front stairwells; and 4) third floor - glass roof lights.
The Imperial Bank of Canada is one of a handful of Winnipeg banks left to recall the city's significant place in the financing of Western Canada's early development. The structure is located on Bankers' Row, a section of Main Street that in its heyday featured more than a dozen sumptuous bank buildings and many other premises filled with insurance, mortgage and trust companies. These institutions together provided the financial backing that ensured the city's rapid rise as a regional economic powerhouse in the early 1900s. The eight historic bank buildings that remain still constitute an impressive concentration of wealth and architectural ambition, usually carried out in a heavily articulated classical vocabulary. The Imperial Bank is an exceptional version of the Classical Revival style, designed by noted Toronto-based architects Darling and Pearson. It also is a symbolic landmark in the Exchange District, a national historic site of Canada, situated on Main Street at the head of a line of early warehouses that stretch to its east on Bannatyne Avenue, making a strong connection between the bank and the source of much of its wealth.
For more information: