Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

412 Graham Street

Formerly:Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Shoppers Drugmart
Address:412 Graham Street
Use:Starbucks Coffee
Original Use:Bank
Constructed:1953-54
Other Work:1994, Conversion of bank to drug store
Architects:Green Blankstein Russell & Associates
Firms:Green Blankstein Russell & Associates

More Information

Designed by Green Blankstein Russell and Associates, 412 Graham was built between 1953 and 1954. Since the closure of the bank branch, the building has housed commercial tenants.

Design Characteristics

  • The elegant and understated former CIBC bank branch utilized a corner entrance to make the most efficient use of its prominent site
  • The rounded corner layout, while having many historic precedents, was chosen to make a statement of friendly accessibility. The solid, imposing monumental banks of the past replaced with modern designs that appeared more inclusive and open
  • Pre-dating the surrounding buildings, the bank features floor to ceiling windows across two sides, fully lighting the interior
  • The exterior walls are faced with polished limestone, with brown granite providing a band of detail at grade and around the windows

Sources

  • L. W. Townsend, "The Why and Wherefore of Modern Bank Design," Journal of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • City of Winnipeg Archives