|Address:||401 York Avenue|
|Use:||Provincial government offices|
|Original Use:||Provincial government offices|
|Other Work:||1982, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1994, Interior alterations|
|Architects:||Gilbert Parfitt (Advisory Architect for the Government of Manitoba)|
|Firms:||Green, Blankstein, Russell (GBR)|
|Contractors:||G. A. Baert Construction Company Ltd.|
The Norquay Building, 401 York Avenue is a ten-storey provincial office building, constructed in 1958-60. Located on the north side of York Avenue between Vaughan and Kennedy streets, it was the tallest building in the downtown when it was completed. It is representative of post-war expansion and consolidation of Manitoba government services within the provincial precinct.
Completed at a cost of $6 million, the Norquay Building, named for Manitoba premier John Norquay (1841-1889), was designed from the inside out. Using a new precast concrete slab floor system, it is built on a modular grid permitting flexibility of office layouts and economical construction. Stainless steel and glass curtain walls on the north and south sides provide ample natural light for the many government offices within, while the east and wet end walls are sheathed in Tyndall limestone. The exterior is a sleek rectangle with clean modernist lines that repeat the modular planning grid.
The entrance, on a raised podium of exposed aggregate precast concrete, features a free-standing entry canopy of stainless steel.
In many respects the Norquay Building recalls the design of the 1952 United Nations' General Assembly Building, by Oscar Neimeyer, Le Corbusier, and the firm of Harrison & Abramovitz.