|Formerly:||City Centre Motor Hotel|
|Address:||367 Ellice Avenue|
|Use:||Hotel and Independent Living Facility|
|Architects:||Waisman Ross and Associates|
|Firms:||Waisman Ross and Associates|
Fraser & MacPherson
City Centre Motels Ltd. (Developer)
Originally the City Centre Hotel, 367 Ellice Avenue was designed by local architectural firm Waisman Ross and Associates and was constructed between 1958 and 1959. The fourth floor, planned only as a possibility in the original design, was needed to provide additional space almost immediately upon completion (also designed by Waisman Ross and Associates). The addition was not intended to significantly alter the original aesthetic of the motel, whose box-like units stack in a clear expression of their corresponding interior space, each with three long windows and an operable transom at the base of the center window.
Upon opening in 1959, the City Centre Motor Hotel was the city’s first triple-decker motel, offering the privacy of a motel with the convenience of a hotel. Original facilities included parking space for seventy cars, a coffee shop, drugstore, barber shop, convention hall, banquet room, cocktail lounge and beverage room. The City Centre, along with the Charterhouse and Downtowner, were trendsetters and set the bar for a number of similarly designed hotels that sprang up in the mid-sixties. Within one year, Winnipeg saw the construction of the Westminster, Dakota Village, Westwood Village and Champs (now Osborne Village) motor hotels.