Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Lincoln Middle School, St. James-Assiniboia School Division.

Address:3180 McBey Avenue
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1958
Architects:Libling Michener and Associates
Firms:Libling Michener and Associates
Engineers:T. A. Crozier and Associates

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Kirkfield, St. James- Assiniboia
  • This is a wide design that stretches far east-to-west across its, growing and evolving from the original tiny eight classrooms where the modest gym was quickly converted into three more classrooms, an indication of the growth pressures once facing this neighbourhood
  • The early west portion of the larger present-day Lincoln Middle School is built from a wood deck and frame with brick stucco filling the walls; this section retains its original sunshades made from slatted wood on the south side
  • Additions to the spare and modern design of the academic wing on the front facade were mannerly and these classrooms have retained much of their integrity including the many large windows and wall spandrels in painted panels between
  • A large addition on the east side in a mid-brown brick is in a compatible scale and counters the street setback, wandering amicably in the rear, all the way over to join with Kirkfield-Westwood Community Club so teenaged students have full recreation facilities year-round

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, Inc.