Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

293 Colony Street

Formerly:Cinema Centre Building
Address:293 Colony Street
Constructed:1937
Architects:Green Blankstein Russell
Firms:Green Blankstein Russell

More Information

Designed by local firm Green Blankstein Russell and Ham, this building was erected to house ten cinema distribution companies, with room allotted for office space and areas for the storage of film. The building, which featured an early Manitoba embrace of a modern architectural style, was constructed by the firm of Carter Halls Aldinger Co. Ltd. Painting and decoration was done by the Whitecross painting company. Plumbing, sprinklering and heating was supplied by Cotter Bros. Limited. The building was demolished in the late 1960s to make way for the Winnipeg Art Gallery.

Design Characteristics

  •