Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

237 McDermot Avenue

Formerly:Alexander Apartment House
The Albert Block
Mariaggi Hotel
Use:Hotel and Retail
Original Use:Apartments
Constructed:1901
Other Work:1903, Frank Mariaggi converted the block into an opulent hotel.
Architects:Fremont D. Orff, Architect of Record
Local Winnipeg architect W. B. Lait oversaw construction
Contractors:George Alsip
Tours:Part of the QR Code Tour

More Information

The Albert Block was originally constructed as the Alexandria Apartment House in 1901 as a real estate investment

Design Characteristics

Materials:Steel beams supported by iron columns with steel lintels above openings
Frontage Direction:South
  • Irregular Shape
  • Little change to exterior since construction
  • Structural brick veneered with dark red pressed brick and ornamented with buff stone trimmings
  •