Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Monarch Lumber Company

Formerly:Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company
Address:207 Donald Street
Use:Office building
Original Use:Commercial
Constructed:1955-56
Other Work:1955-56
1964, Addition constructed
1980, 1981, 1989 and 1990, Interior alterations
Architects:Moody & Moore
Contractors:G. A. Baert Construction Co. Ltd.

More Information

The building located at 207 Donald Street was designed by local architects Moody and Moore and was constructed as the Winnipeg head offices of the Monarch Lumber Company in 1955-56 for an approximate cost of $300,000.

Provisions were made at the time of construction for 30-40 parking spots at the front of the building. The structure was designed to accommodate a future addition of a third floor -- less than a decade later, in 1964, this addition was made. The subtle shift in the colour of the brick, between the existing second and third floor addition, remains evident.

Originally the front elevation featured a large expanse of louvers, completely screening the glazing. Other changes include the removal of the original sign (which ran along the top of the primary awning by the front entrance, in a period script) and the addition of the large address sign on Donald Street.

The building was later sold to the Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company Building, and has since been partitioned to house several insurance offices.

Design Characteristics

  • Plan area: 5,699 sq. ft. (529.44 sq. m)
  • Gross floor area: 23,529 sq. ft. (2,185.84 sq. m)
  • The exterior of the building is faced with red-brown coloured brick, Tyndall stone accents and recessed windows on each level.

Sources

  • "Modern offices for Monarch Lumber Company Ltd.," Manitoba Industry and Commerce Bulletin, 7, 6 (September 1955), 3.
  • "$257,000 building for Monarch," Western Construction and Building, 8, 7 (July 1956), 11.
  • "Winnipeg Building - $300,000 office building," Western Construction and Building, 7, 10 (October 1955), 26.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • City of Winnipeg Archives