Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Brooklands School, St. James-Assiniboia School Division.

Formerly:Butterworth School
Address:1950 Pacific Avenue West
Use:Educational
Original Use:Educational
Constructed:1955
Architects:Ward Macdonald

More Information

It is difficult to resolve any details from the plans for this school, which is at the furthest point of the St. James-Assiniboia School Divisionand not far from Red River College; the name has changed at least once from Butterworth School, and possibly twice, and the school has seen several additions and alterations.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Brooklands
  • Having evolved into a U-shape, the older sections of the school remain evident on the two arms of the 'U', with a broad portion sweeping across the front onto what is now a spacious park, giving the school a fine, secure site particularly for its elementary students
  • Many surface treatments are used here, from concrete block and stucco in the older sections to a face brick, the whole tied together with a powder blue and white colour scheme, except for the back of the gym section
  • The original two sections are one story high and run north-south in slim rectangles perpendicular to the larger centre section; many if not all of the windows have been altered on the west wing while the east wing that parallels the cross street (Oddy Street) has retained most of its original large window openings; it is here that the original building's main entrance is used to tie the design of the facade to the newer centre additions, with large evergreens softening the transition and marking the entrance

Locations of Supporting Information

  • Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, Inc.