Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

161 Portage Avenue East

Formerly:Bank of Canada Building
Address:161 Portage Avenue East
Use:Office building
Original Use:Office Building
Constructed:1969-1971
Other Work:1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, Interior alterations
1998, Renovations by Friesen Tokar Architects
1985, Renovations (Contractor: V.K. Mason)
1987, 1993, Renovations
Architects:Smith Carter Parkin
Firms:Smith Carter Parkin,
Friesen Tokar Architects
Contractors:G.A. Baert Construction Co. Ltd.

More Information

Local architectural firm Smith Carter Parkin designed the Bank of Canada building at 161 Portage Avenue East between 1969 and 1971. Also known as 3 Lombard Place, the eight storey steel structure has bands of natural gray granite alternating with rows of glazing, giving the building a fortress-like appearance. A steel structure allows interior spaces to be relatively unobstructed by columns. The simplicity of the exterior matches the style of other office buildings, in the downtown, constructed at this time and 161 Portage Avenue is linked to Winnipeg’s weather protected pedestrian walkway system.

Design Characteristics

  • Plan area: 10, 212 sq. ft. (948.695 sq. m)
  • Gross floor area: 94, 565 sq. ft. (8,785.09 sq. m)

Sources

  • "Federal Business Development Bank", Western Construction and Industry, 30, 5 (August 1978), pp. 50-51.
  • D. T. Muskett, "The Industrial Development Bank," Manitoba Industrial Topics, 6, 5 (January/February 1947), pp. 14-16.
  • D. T. Muskett, "The Industrial Development Bank," Manitoba Industry and Commerce Bulletin, 1, 3 (July 1949), pp. 1-2.
  • "Rental Agents Names for New Bank of Canada Building," Manitoba Business Journal, 6, 8 (September 1970), p. 42.

Locations of Supporting Information

  • City of Winnipeg Archives
  • University of Manitoba Libraries, Department of Special Collections and Archives, Winnipeg Tribune Subject Clippings Research Files