Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Governor Semple School

Address:150 Hartford Avenue
Use:Education
Original Use:Education
Constructed:1950
Other Work:Addition of classrooms in 1954 and a gymnasium in 1974
Architects:Edgar Prain, with J. T. L. Ward, Associate
Prain and Ward (1954)
Green Blankstein Russell (1974)

More Information

Located not far north of the Red River, this small elementary school flooded before it even opened in 1950.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Seven Oaks
  • Its plans are so thorough that the architect even designed the blackboards and the cupboards, as well as this eight-room school for the West Kildonan School District; two more classrooms were added on the north end in 1954 but the students had to wait until 1974 to have a full-sized gym
  • On a frame of steel and wood, red face brick and glass block windows were used in the simple rectangular design, which is turned sideways to the street to capture all the natural light of the south side and the yard
  • Constrained by the smaller site, the first academic wing went on the north side and the gym addition went beyond that; lighter colours on the gym wing keep the building from looking cramped