|Address:||1070 Dominion Street|
|Other Work:||Additions in 1952, 1954 and 1957|
|Architects:||Winnipeg School Division, In-house|
|Contractors:||1948-9, Winnipeg Supply and Fuel for $355,678|
1952, Bird Construction Co. for $47,000
1954 and 1957, Arlington Brothers for $146,530 and $411,821, respectively.
Sargent Park School seems to turn its back on the street but was built to face onto a block of Downing Street is is no longer open to cars; so what was designed as the rear of the school on the east side has become the front on Dominion St.; the former front looks onto Cindy Klassen Recreation Complex and its parking lot.
This is a large school in one-and-two storey volumes, made of red masonry brick and limestone trim and featuring an entrance tower which is the signature feature of Winnipeg #1's schools in the late 1940s.
It has a large footprint from the many additions but the elevations retain much of their original features because most of the work was done within the same era in the 1950s and respected the established design; the west elevation took many of the additions as it matched southward; a two-storey wing now on the front (east) side was the junior high wing and built as part of the 1948 plan.
Two features stand out: the oft-mentioned tower entrance, here done right with a date and namestone, glass block transom, stylized Art Deco bronze moulding above the entrance doors and geometric patterning incised in the curvaceous limestone tower; the other notable feature is the smokestack, which was perhaps made very tall for a future second storey, and has a stone cap in the same design as the pilaster capitals used in all the auditoriums of this design.
The auditorium, with its prescribed detailing, is on the north side and has retained its glass block windows
When the school was built in 1948-9, there were problems in constructing the foundation, which may explain the foundation repairs undertaken in the spring of 2009.