Winnipeg Architecture Foundation

Places

Buildings

Clifton School

Address:1070 Clifton Street
Use:Educational
Constructed:1949
Other Work:Additions in 1953-1954 and 1959
Architects:Winnipeg School Division, In-house
Contractors:Wallace and Aikins with J. Plaxton Co.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Sargent Park
  • Clifton School is an elementary school that replaced an earlier one of the same name
  • It has a design that the school division used variations of for several years in the immediate post-war period; it is a cross-over, both in its looks and its construction, that pulls from the previous era with the lines and detailing it looks forward with the low, broad feel and the modern window design
  • Although it was added to as need required and funds permitted, it all folds into a single design that has good integrity and durability
  • Stone quoins on the original corners, multiple bands and a centre tower outlined in stone trim and a datestone over the main entrance provide contrast with the soft red brick
  • The taller centre tower block, the most distinctive feature, ripples with brick and stone ornamentation that focuses the eye and ties the symmetry of the rectangular wings to either side